There are many different factors that can lead to a high-risk pregnancy. Some issues are minor, while others may be life-threatening. Fortunately, a qualified and experienced high-risk pregnancy doctor can provide the extra care you need during this time. Dr. William Chavira is a high-risk pregnancy doctor in Phoenix. He delivers at some of the top hospitals in the Phoenix Valley, including St. Joseph’s Hospital and Banner – University Medical Center. Together with his long-term staff, he has proven to be an invaluable resource for women with high-risk pregnancies. This is how he can help.
What is a high-risk pregnancy?
A high-risk pregnancy can result from conditions that are present before you even become pregnant, but in other cases, complications arise as you progress through your pregnancy. No matter the cause of your high-risk pregnancy, these generally require extra care in order to ensure a safe and successful delivery.
Some of the more common factors that lead to high-risk pregnancies include:
- Maternal age. Both younger and older maternal age can have an effect on pregnancy, as well as the labor and delivery process. In general, teenagers and women over the age of 35 are considered to be at a high-risk pregnancy age.
- Existing health conditions. A history of conditions, such as high blood pressure, diabetes, heart disorders, or asthma can lead to increased pregnancy risk. Obesity is another concern because it can lead to high blood pressure, preeclampsia, gestational diabetes, stillbirth, and neural tube defect
- Multiples pregnancy. Women carrying twins or higher order multiples are at an increased risk for complications. More than half of all twins and as many as 93% of triplets are born at less than 37 weeks.
- Lifestyle choices. There are many factors related to lifestyle that can impact your pregnancy. Drinking alcohol, smoking cigarettes, and doing drugs can put your pregnancy at risk.
- Medical history. Surgeries and other aspects of your medical history can increase your risk for pregnancy complications. This includes any surgery performed on your uterus or abdominal muscles, as well as previous cesarean deliveries (C-sections).
Preparing for a high-risk pregnancy
A high-risk pregnancy can make you feel uneasy and worried. From complications during pregnancy to issues in labor and delivery, you probably have questions and concerns. The best way to put your mind at ease is to be prepared.
If you would have a high-risk pregnancy due to age, health conditions, or other factors, it doesn’t mean that you can’t also have a successful pregnancy. Before attempting to conceive, make an appointment with Dr. Chavira. This will give you an opportunity to guarantee you’re doing everything you possibly can to ensure a healthy conception from day one.
He can discuss some ways to reduce your risks before becoming pregnant. Whether this includes prenatal vitamins or changes to your daily routine, you’ll have the information you need to make the best possible choices.
On the other hand, if you’re currently pregnant and are encountering high-risk issues, you will need advanced monitoring and care during your pregnancy. While every situation is different, this usually means more frequent monitoring appointments, as well as additional testing. In many cases, there will be a detailed plan for labor and delivery based on your specific case.
The good news is, quality care can help you achieve a healthy pregnancy and safe delivery, even if you are categorized as high-risk. Through open communication and close monitoring, you and your baby will be taken care of each step of the way.
Finding help for high-risk pregnancies in Phoenix
Pregnancy is an incredibly personal experience, especially when it comes to high-risk cases. The emotional impact and stress associated with complications can be difficult to cope with. With this in mind, Dr. William Chavira provides compassionate expert care and helps his patients develop a unique pregnancy and delivery plan to reduce their risks.
Dr. Chavira is a high-risk pregnancy doctor with patients from all over Phoenix. His clinic is conveniently located in central Phoenix near Central and Thomas. If you’re looking for a doctor to monitor and delivery your high-risk pregnancy, get in touch today.