While there are many different methods of delivering a baby, the goal is always the same. A healthy mother and child are Dr. Chavira’s number one priority. If you’re preparing for natural childbirth, he can provide the guidance necessary for a safe labor and delivery process. This is what you can expect with this Phoenix OB/GYN.
What is natural childbirth?
Childbirth is a beautiful and incredibly personal experience. The decisions you make throughout the process are unique to your specific situation. They should always be thoughtfully considered along with the guidance and advice of your doctor.
For some, it may be important to go through the process with little or no medical intervention. This is generally referred to as natural childbirth. There are many different ways to achieve this type of childbirth at every step of labor and delivery. In fact, the term may have different meanings, depending on who you speak to.
Some of the more common methods of natural childbirth include:
- Avoiding an epidural and other methods of medicinal pain relief
- Opting for alternative delivery positions (squatting, kneeling, or leaning against a wall) instead of lying on your back
- Delivering in a pool of warm water, at a birthing center, or at home
- Working with a doctor who will make every attempt to avoid assisted deliveries, like vacuum extraction or cesarean section (C-section)
- Delivering the baby immediately to your chest for skin-to-skin contact and breastfeeding
This is only a brief overview of the different methods and techniques associated with natural childbirth. There are many options available, each with different benefits and challenges. Dr. Chavira can help you determine the right approach for your specific case depending on your unique pregnancy profile.
What should I know about natural childbirth?
As always, there are benefits and risks associated with any type of medical procedure, even natural childbirth. There are instances when this may not be the safest option for you and your baby. It’s important to study any method you’re considering before deciding if it’s the right approach for you. Dr. Chavira can talk about all of these in more detail.
Some benefits of natural childbirth may potentially include:
- More effective pushing due to the lack of pain-relieving medications
- Increased mobility during and immediately following delivery
- Ease of breastfeeding due to instant skin-to-skin contact
- Faster recovery due to lack of interventions, such as an episiotomy or cesarean section
- Better bonding with your birthing partner due to significant involvement in the process
In contrast, the risks associated with natural childbirth could potentially include:
- Intense and unbearable pain without an epidural or medication
- A need for general anesthesia if an emergency cesarean section becomes necessary
- Increased chances of complications while attempting a home birth
Aside from the benefits and risks associated with a natural childbirth, there are additional instances when this type of delivery may not be recommended. If you have a high-risk pregnancy, it generally requires close monitoring and interventions to ensure the safety of you and your baby.
For this reason, natural childbirth may not be right for you if:
- You are considered a high-risk pregnancy
- You are expecting twins or multiples
- You’re suffering from preeclampsia, gestational diabetes, or other health conditions
- The baby is in the breech position when you go into labor
- You go into labor before reaching 37 weeks of pregnancy
- You are considered overweight or gained too much weight during your pregnancy
Be open and honest with Dr. Chavira about your medical history and pregnancy symptoms in order to determine the best method of childbirth for you. The health and safety of you and your baby is always the most important factor. Together, we can work to find the right birth plan for you.
Learn more about planning for natural childbirth
Your birth plan is a powerful and truly personal element of your pregnancy and childbirth journey. It’s important to look at all of your options and make a thoughtful decision with the help of a doctor. Your birth plan may incorporate all or a select few elements of a natural childbirth.
If you want to prepare for a natural labor and delivery, Dr. William Chavira can guide you through the process. From classes to books to pre-labor practices, there are many ways to get ready for a safe and smooth natural childbirth experience.
To learn more about the different methods of natural childbirth, and to determine if you’re a good candidate for this type of labor and delivery, call Dr. Chavira today.